Mr. Sheldon McKenna, spokesman for the General Presidents Maintenance Committee and National Maintenance Council for Canada was on hand today to present a cheque in the amount of $25,000 for The Fort Saskatchewan Food Gatherers Society.
The General Presidents’ Maintenance Committee (GPMC) and National Maintenance Council (NMC) for Canada is an alliance of international construction trade unions that negotiate and administer labour agreements tailored for maintenance work at industrial facilities across Canada. The organization works in cooperation with more than 120 employers that employ over 13,000 skilled tradespeople each year. Its collective agreements provide skilled tradespeople, across thirteen (13) unique trade unions, with an opportunity to earn fair wages in both a long-term stable environment and seasonal shutdown work. Through a partnership with the union members, signatory employers and project owners these work opportunities help build and sustain the infrastructure that all Canadians can benefit from. People, their families and the communities they belong to have always been a core value of their business. These groups make it possible for the organization to operate successfully and grow over the last 67 years, so naturally it has become extremely important to the GPMC/NMC to invest in their future and support these stakeholder groups.
Operating as a not-for-profit organization they struck off a Charity Committee with the goal of targeting worthwhile local charities/causes where their members live and work. Over the years they have provided financial support for sports clubs, food banks, hospitals and many other worthy charitable groups. This year, the GPMC/NMC and its affiliated trade unions have chosen The Fort Saskatchewan Food Gatherers Society as one of these worthy initiatives. Along with a donation of $25,000, they would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the Society for all it has done and will continue to do for their members and the community as a whole.
Member Unions to the (GPMC/NMC) Committee include:
- International Brotherhood of Boilermakers
- International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craft Workers
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America and Millwrights
- International Association of Heat & Frost Insulators & Allied Workers
- Operative Plasterers’ and Cement Masons International Association
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- International Association of Iron Workers
- Laborers’ International Union of North America
- International Union of Operating Engineers International
- Union of Painters & Allied Trades
- United Association of Plumbers & Pipefitters
- International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters